Regular exercise and healthy eating are the key components to a healthy lifestyle, helping you to prevent and manage chronic disease and improve your health and well-being.
To help you achieve your health and lifestyle goals, Diabetes NSW and ACT has developed BEAT IT, an innovative, tailored physical activity and lifestyle program. BEAT IT is designed to assist those at risk of, or living with, diabetes, through awareness and physical activity to get active - all in a safe and supportive environment. BEAT IT classes involve moderate intensity physical activity and include aerobic and strength training. Classes also include weekly education sessions which cover a variety of healthy living topics. During the 8-week program, classes start slowly and build as you become fitter, stronger and more confident. The sessions are fun, safe and supportive, with exercises specifically tailored to suit your individual health and fitness levels.
The BEAT IT program is suitable for people with:
- Apparently healthy but want to reduce their risk of developing diabetes
- Have a family history of diabetes or heart disease
- Overweight or obese
- Have diabetes (unless poorly controlled)
- Have controlled hypertension
- Have controlled lipid profile
- Are at least six months post discharge from an acute cardiac event (unless medical clearance from cardiologist has been received prior to participation)
- Are at least six months post discharge from cardiac surgery including valve replacement, heart bypass or any other heart surgery (unless medical clearance from a cardiologist has been received prior to participation)
Prior to joining the group classes, you will attend an individual initial consultation to obtain medical and physical activity history, set goals and develop your individualised exercise program. If you are not suitable for the BEAT IT group classes you may still benefit from seeing our Exercise Physiologists for individual appointments.
The results speak for themselves:
- 88.8% of participants have more motivation as a result of the program
- 77.5% have a better understanding of exercise
- 61.3% made new friends
- 60.2% have higher energy levels
- 59.6% enjoy healthier eating habits as a result of completing the program
- 35% have improved blood pressure
For more information call Southside Physiotherapy on 9527 4099 or visit https://diabetesnsw.com.au
We do not warrant or represent that the information in this site is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. We recommend that you seek individual advice before acting on any information in this site. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on our website is correct at the time of publication but recommend that you exercise your own skill and care with respect to its use. If you wish to purchase our services, please do not rely solely on the information in this website.